How to Depop: My experience and tips
How To Depop : My Experience and Tips
disclaimer: I haven’t opened a *new* depop account in ages so I’m not sure of the new rules or policies, but it looks the same to me.I’ve been on Depop since 2014 and I’ve sold more than 100 items including shoes, home decor, gaming consoles, posters, jackets, records and more. I want you guys to trust me a bit, so I will upload proof from my actual depop accounts.
Please pin these on your pinterest to share the love, thank you sweeties!
SavePin this to pinterest!I have other accounts on Depop that have helped me sell different kind of items other than clothes. These are some things I’ve learned from managing these accounts.
How To Depop : The Basics
1. Upload a shop policy postPeople can be petty, especially if there’s money involved. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so I suggest you upload a policy post first. Here are my policies for my personal account and clothing line account, yours can be different but these worked for me:
2. Post Tracking proofI think one of the reasons I never got scammed was because I always posted packaging proof on my depop page for EVERYONE to see and tagged/messaged the buyer. You can even go as far as recording yourself dropping it off at the post office blue box. I really recommend doing that at the start, just cover the users address and name for privacy. OR you can easily just post that you have their tracking number and will message them. Now I just save tracking receipts, post tracking on paypal and specify on my policies that tracking will be posted on Paypal. This way I don’t have to spend much time posting tracking, messaging a customer and doing the most because my policies say to “expect tracking posted on Paypal”. This will ensure you getting positive reviews left and right! This makes selling easier and faster for yourselves and more protection for both sellers and buyers
3. Save your receipts!I’ve seen sellers upload a post about a past buyer opening a paypal claim against them, months or even a year after the purchase was made. Even if that buyer gave 5 stars, they will still try to open a claim and get their money back. When depop can’t help you with a transaction, Paypal will later need to step in and they ask for your tracking receipts, messages and anything you have as proof in order for you to win a case. I have a shoe box full of usps tracking receipts in case someone wants to bring a purchase back from the grave and fight me.
How To Depop : Selling
1. Get a Bank and a Paypal account.Depop deactivates you for making negotiations to get payment in a different method where you’re not paying the fees. (i.e, telling someone to pay you with paypal friends and family option or any other method that’s not through depop). Get these two set up and you’re good to go! And NO I do not recommend trying Friends and Family because people might scam you. Even if you sell something, I feel like Depop will find out and kick you off the app.
2. Download the Paypal app and set up your account.Why download the app? It’s easier to transfer your money to your bank account this way and you get notified asap when you make a sale. Make sure you also have your bank account connected to your Paypal so you’re able to transfer the money quickly! For me, it’s free to transfer and it only takes 1 business day to complete.
3. Make a great posts with clear descriptionsMake a clear description of the item, new or used, brand etc. and post clear pictures. If you don’t, you will be bombarded with questions, or you just won’t get any interested buyers at all because you will seem sketchy. Great posts mean take good pictures. Try to model in them or get a nice background. Make it like an instagram account where you want to show off the items you have.
How To Depop : Shipping
1. Charge your buyers correctlyThere is a paypal fee, depop fee and you have to remember the shipping fee you have to charge your buyer. When I sell something, I charge a total of $5+ for shipping and fees since what I normally sell is small and lightweight. If your item is bigger like shoes or a jacket, the price of shipping will obviously be higher, like $9 and up.
2. Choose the best shipping optionDepop offers two options; label or ship it yourself. The label option is just like poshmark’s service where you have to print a label, stick it to your package and leave it with your shipping carrier. It is incredibly easy to do it that way. The reason I choose to ship my own packages is because depop’s labeling service sucks. I contacted depop when something went wrong with their service and they basically told me that their label is correct and I was wrong, so I lost a sale due to their new owners. It’s easier to just ship yourself especially if you don’t have access to a printer or you don’t want to deal with Depop’s incompetent service.
3. Packaging and shipping with U.S.P.SMake sure your package is clean, neat and secure! You can be charged more for having duct tape or an unsecure package. FedEx and UPS will usually be more expensive. Ship with your government’s shipping service and ask for First class shipping or see the cheapest option for the size and weight of your package.
How To Depop : Gain Followers
1. Take good photos in natural lightingI suggest taking good pictures for the most part. If you’re not selling what people want, like brand new with tags items or big brands, then you might have to put some effort into selling your clothes. Taking good pictures with natural lighting is what made me gain followers fast.
2. Model in your clothesIf you can find cute images of the item online, that will work just as well. This really makes your page look nice and legitimate and will help you gain followers. When I would model in my clothes, I would usually get featured on the explore page.
3. Being active on the appThis really helped me gain followers as well. Gaining mutuals will also help you become a more trusted seller on the app.
What sold for me:
- Basically, you want to sell useful items. If they’re not useful, maybe they’re cute, pastel or something of the like. If they’re not name brand, at least they’re new or still have the tags. The less someone wants something, the more effort you have to put in to sell it.
- I know I have to model some things that are not as cute, but sometimes it looks better worn. Try modeling something to get more exposure!
- If you can’t do any of the above, I recommend doing some editing. For the shorts pictured above, I took off the background and put something cute instead.
- Keep updating the item. Doing this brings it back to the top of your page and on top of search lists. Every once in a while I like to update my most popular items that haven’t sold and I usually get some likes from it.
Thanks for reading How To Depop: My Experience and Tips!
If you need any more help or tips just comment below. I will probably make an updated depop post in the future if I get enough questions about it. Thanks for reading!